Thursday, May 3, 2012

Back to the Grindstone

It's been said that disappointment fuels endeavour, that the lessons we learn and the fire we consequently find inside is what spurs people on, at least it's what spurs the real believers and future champions on anyway. I've experienced disappointment a couple of times in my career and will no doubt find it again someday whether it's in my skeleton career or everyday life beyond that. Either way the fine fine margin of a few hundredths of a second taught me a lot last season, one of the things i've learnt and taken forward is my renewed hunger and vigour to be the worlds best in this crazy topsy turvey sport of skeleton. It is this vigour that has seen me hurl headlong back into training at Bath University with my S&C Coach Danny Holdcroft and Physio Kay Robinson.

The group we have formed this summer season is smaller than previous years, with the recent retirements of Amy Williams and Adam Pengilly however this has taken nothing away from the group dynamic and we are all gelling together incredibly and making really large strides forward.

As far as i'm concerned we are now 5 weeks into this off season and I am training harder than I ever have done and the gains I am seeing so far are great. I'm lifting massive personal bests in the gym and feel in great shape for it. Saying that, great shape doesn't mean I'm not suffering, the sessions so far have been brutal and a decents night sleep just doesn't quite take the edge off the intensity with which we are working. I know however that it is my best and that if I keep giving my best I will have no excuses stood at the top of the slope at the Olympic Winter Games, and from there...who knows!

The Pushstart - What the majority of this summers training is looking to improve

No comments:

Post a Comment