Saturday, October 23, 2010

New Season, New Aspirations

So the last 7 months have been spent training hard at the University of Bath. There's not much more to be said about that to be honest, I've been working with my S&C coach Danny Holdcroft and an old sprints coach Rob Ellchuk to get myself into tip top condition for the coming season and preparations have been going well with personal bests on the pushtrack and feeling fighting fit for a good season!

So it is that we are now into our preseason training and along with the excitement of starting a new season I had a new sled to look forward to, I have now moved onto one of the Blackroc sleds that were designed for the last Olympic games and its a bit like Christmas coming early to be honest. I believe this sled will be much more competitive than my last and should put me in good stead for the next 4 years leading into the next Games!

We arrived in Lillehammer, Norway about a week ago now and have had 5 sliding days so far and i can report that the new sled is a bit of a handful but i feel like i'm getting to grips with it and how it handles in the corners and it feels fast! All in all a very good sign, consequently my times over the last week has steadily been dropping as i become acclimatised to being back on ice, crazily sliding downhill at breakneck speeds, and simultaneously getting used to how the new sled handles!

James Hoad and I in a very chilly icybath!!

We have another 2 days of training before 3 days of official training and then 2 selection races here in Norway, this will decide who will be on the World Cup and Intercontinental circuits for the coming months and is well within my grasps to do well here. I'm ultimately sliding against some of the best sliders in the world so it's a tough ask but as the relative newbie of the group il give it my best and see what happens! Here's hoping training continues to go well! :)

1 comment:

  1. good luck, sure you'll make everyone proud, no matter how you get on!!! xXx

    ReplyDelete